May 01, 2008

So Proud I Could Burst

This past weekend marked the start of the 2008 Soccer Season here in town. Both kids are registered to the Rec. League and being that this is their third year playing, we knew what was in store - We would have NO life on the weekends. Lil Man's games are on Saturday and Miss Thing's are on Sunday. Couple that with Thursday and Friday night practices and Monday rolls around quicker than Angelina adopts another kid.

Lil Man has become a lot more aggressive and actually went after the ball quite a bit in his game. He even played goalie for awhile as it is his favorite position because it requires NO running. He is my child, after all.

Sunday morning came and I mentioned to DH that I felt THIS year was Miss Thing's Year. She had worked tirelessly for the last two years to try to score a goal. Last season she managed to do just that. Twice. She was ecstatic. And we were really proud, she had worked so hard.

But. THIS year, I had this feeling in my chest before the game. THIS year, I just knew....would be something special for her. It seemed like overnight my little girl had sprouted into a tween and with that had total control over her lean, mean body. She was more confident and competitive and athletic. No matter how I tried, that funny feeling in my chest stayed.

Game time came and we sat freezing in the fold up chairs cheering on the Pink Shirted Team. They had put Miss Thing in the forward position, perfect for scoring. She looked over at me and nodded her head, like "Are you ready for this?" I laughed to myself. God, she IS my kid. Next thing I knew my Little Lightning had racked up three goals and had shot for at least another three which the goalie managed to stop. THREE GOALS. IN ONE GAME. Collectively more than she had managed an entire season before. That feeling in my chest was so right. I could nearly contain myself and cheered her on through the whole game. But, cool as a cucumber she kept herself composed. When did she get so grown up?

As a parent, absolutely nothing makes you happier than knowing your kid met the challenges they had set for themselves. She walked off the field head held high and smile ear to ear. I thought the day was about as perfect for her as any I had ever dreamed for her.

She is so proud and so are we.

Tuesday, I picked her up from Newspaper Club, she and a group of other 4th graders write articles and such for the school paper. She works really hard on the ones she creates. Perhaps she'll be a writer like her Auntie. And she walked out with another smile ear to ear. She had been chosen as Student of the Month.

Three goals and Student of the Month all in one week. I'm not sure we're ever gonna top this.

Way to go Miss Thing! You Rock!

4 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact I had to hear this news from your MOTHER, and you didn't mention it yesterday when we spoke is grounds for some sisterly punishment. Perhaps a noogie is in order?

Congrats, Miss Thing!!!! God, she really did grow up overnight, didn't she.

When do ya think she'll be ready to babysit? Next week, sometime?

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Way to go Miss Thing!!! How exciting for you to watch. I remember that feeling, sitting on the sidelines, realizing something big was going to happen. It is so wonderful to see them succeed at something they work hard at.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Yay!!
What a banner week you are having!
Congrats!!!
xo
LBC

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How sweet is that! Way to go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home