October 19, 2006

Waiting For The Bus

Waiting for the bus, with the kids. Outside is a beautiful fall day. Crisp smell in the air. Leaves of orange, red and yellow floating down from the sky. No breeze. Perfect morning. Sitting on the porch waiting for the bus in contented silence.

From across the street, way in the back, music starts playing. It is so quiet in the neighborhood - you can hear it perfectly. Ah. It's an 80's station. Stone Temple Pilots is playing. Creep. Half the man I used to be........ I look over and both the kids are slightly bobbing their heads. No words. No one notices I'm watching. I smile. They love this music.

Song ends.

Bon Jovi erupts from unseen radio. You Give Love a Bad Name. Music plays. Miss Thing jumps up.

"Oh Man. I LOVE THIS SONG!" singing with gusto and knowing all the words - "Shot through the heart and you're to blame - you give love a Baaaaad Name."

Lil Man chimes in with air guitar.

It should have been an iPod commercial.

*sniff*

I love those wack-job, 80's loving freaks.

5 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Ah! What we pass down to our kids, eh?

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats great!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger JayMonster said...

My daughter could be the same way, but my wife works very hard at keeping her away from my 80's music.

sniff.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self...

Must teach kids about the joys of Warrant, Alice in Chains and, of course one of our personal faves, Tesla.

It's nice to have a goal.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

I recently aquired a copy of "keep on loving you" and have played it exactly as I did at age 17: over and over, every time I get in the car, crooning along unabashedly.

My 4 year old told me that if he hears it again he's "gonna scream, Momma".

I think those were my dad's exact words all those years ago.

*sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home