September 29, 2006

Exactly HOW Many Hours Are In A Day?!

Well, I have been putting off this post for a week now. Partly because my Grad School admissions experience has been a little less than desirable. They were MANY forms to fill out, Letters of Recommendation to be sought, a Letter of Intent, my resume, a 20 - 30 piece portfolio and of course, a little over $3,000 and that's just for the 1st two classes. I know, OUCH. Lather that together with an admissions department that mimics the Who's on First gag and you'll see JUST how crazy I have been. And the whole ONLINE aspect throws 300 more wrenches into the works. And did I mention the laid-back attitude the Miami folks have? They are SO not like us (OK ME, it's ME) up here in the North East. I envy their cool, smooth ways, so not uptight and wound up.

But, here it is. I have been accepted to the Miami International University of Art & Design Masters of Graphic Design program. (I'd do cartwheels - but I'm afraid to throw something out.)

And I start on Monday.

Nice of them to wait until Tuesday to let me know - THAT gave me TONS of time to secure the FOUR books I needed. Wow, and I get to pay EXTRA for RUSH shipping - aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh you guys - really, you shouldn't have.

According to their orientation, I should expect to spend approximately 15 hours of my time per class. I have 2 classes. I know math has never been my strong suit - but I think that's 30 hours. 30 FUCKING HOURS. Can I start to cry BEFORE I even start the classes???? No. I didn't think so.

And can we talk about the fact that I graduated college like a million years ago. Ok. Like 12 years to be exact. And I haven't stepped inside a classroom since - unless it was one I was teaching. I'm a little scared. I opened a few of the books and skimmed through the reading and I swear to God I heard The Charlie Brown teacher reading it to me. Wah, wah, wah waaaah. Wah wah wahhh waaahh wahhh wahhh. Oh my GOD!

And can we briefly talk about my teaching? We can? Oh good. Because I have been, for the last 3 years, teaching 2 different Design classes at night alternating Design I Fall Semester, Design II Spring Semester. I really like this job. Ok, I love this job, which is why I am getting my Master's Degree and give myself the opportunity to teach at the collegiate level anywhere - not just a private school. The pay - she sucks the big one. Considering my hourly billable rate for my Real Job is approximately what I take home for the entire paycheck at the College - it's laughable.

This week I received an email from the new Chair for the Graphics Department. He and I are of similar mindset regarding the way we teach. I have, on more than one teacher evaluation received a "She's too strict, She's hard. wahhhhhhhhhhh" I say I'm doing my job - because life is hard and getting a job is hard. And I am doing them no justice if I hold their hand through all this and they can't function outside the four walls of school. Anyway. He asked me to teach the Design II class in the Spring semester - not only the night class - but the daytime Friday class. Holy shit.

My first reaction was "OH MY GOD YES." I have wanted another class - I just never expected a day class. The day class is packed. It's a required class. I would part of the accepted faculty and not just the night adjunct no one knew. But. I have a day job. That pays me a lot of money. I would have to work extra hours the night before and that night just to make it up. And then there are the kids. What if one is sick? Not to mention the fact that, I would be driving like a maniac every Friday to beat the bus to my house. And, to be honest - I'm a little scared. I have been running my business from the sanctity of my own home for the last 7 years. I am good at it. I make 6 figures in my pajamas. But OUT of the HOUSE during the day - screws with my schedule. But, I said yes. It is a great opportunity for me. I can't pass it up - no matter how much more I am taking on.

So. I will be taking classes. I will be teaching classes. I will be continuing to work my 50 hours at my job, I will be driving the kids to their activities no less than 4 times a week, and I will clean my house/cook/shop, etc. I also would like to add in there at least 30 minutes of exercise which I have been sadly neglecting. I guess I just won't be sleeping. I will post when I can. Wish me luck - or at least send booze.

10 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger VTek said...

My God Sharpie - A big Congrats & Good luck! And the booze is on its way, rush delivery of course lol.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger macboudica said...

Congrats and good luck. Sorry, I can't send booze, I drank it all, hehe.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assvice Alert
Ok Lady, with all the bucks you are raking in I think we need to discuss control issues and deligation.
1 - You can do it all, but you dont have to. Hire a cleaning lady and let her wait for the Peapod guy and put it all away for you. That knocks two big time-suckers off of your to-do list.

2 - Get a student to help you with the more mundane tasks for extra credit, and call it an internship.

3- Continue driving the kids, because I love the lil' man stories.

You rock Sharpie.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Congratulations! That's great news! And I definitely second the delegation advice.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I be the student who helps with the crap work? Cuz seriously, how AWESOME would an internship with Sharpie look on my resume.

Plus, I'm all about sending booze.

Congrats and good luck!!!!!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will send you the booze I survived college on! Jagermister!!!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger JayMonster said...

Sweet Sadie - I think I will stop complaining about my two job schedule now.

Congrats and Good Luck.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Louise said...

I think I might have to send you some coffee to pep you up after all that booze!

Oh and I totally agree with Michele's assvice- delegate, delegate, delegate!!!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Holy crap girl! My head is exploding with all of that stuff. I definitely say a few good stiff drinks are in order - while you still have time.

And Michele - she is a smartie.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Johannah said...

Oh Lordy Woman. Youza crazy lady.

Grad school ain't for wimps. Of course, neither is being a momma or teaching. Put the three together and...yikes.

Good thing you're tough.

And Thank God for booze too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home