July 05, 2007

Christmas In July

As I mentioned a few posts ago, my kids are enrolled in the local Summer Camp in town. They take kids from Kindergarten up through 5th grade and allow the kids to pick 5 different activities that they partake in every day of those two weeks. You don't always get the activity you want. And try as they might, you don't always get the same age group in the activity.

Case in point, Kids in the Kitchen. BOTH of my children are in this class together. A soon-to-be 4th grader and a soon-to-be 2nd grader. Doesn't seem so bad since they are related, right? Right. But then, there are also soon-to-be 5th graders in this class too.

It seems one particular 5th grader - we'll call him Shit-For-Brains, decided being the height of summer, that he would tell my kids there was NO SANTA. Yes, he did.

Here's how it played out....

First thing out of Lil Man's mouth as we walk in the door from Summer Camp.... "Mom, is there REALLY such a thing as Santa?"

I have my back turned and thank GOD cuz the surprised look on my face may have blown my response. And what the fuck is THIS!

"What?! What are you talking about?" Great start, no?

"Well this 5th grader told me there is no Santa and that the parents are the ones who buy the gifts."

"Well that is ridiculous."

"He said Santa was dead!"

Miss Thing has been eyeing me the WHOLE time - looking for a crack and pipes in with "The other 5th graders were agreeing with him."

"Well, you KNOW how 5th grade boys ARE - they don't want to disagree and seem unpopular." Best to plant the seed of distrust in boys now, no?

They are both just looking at me. Quick - act quick.

"Listen you two, I don't know about YOU - but I BELIEVE and I KNOW what the truth is. Maybe he didn't believe, or maybe he was SO FRESH Santa wasn't GOING to bring him ANYTHING - so, his parents HAD to buy him gifts." Holy crap, that was GOOD!

Both are shaking their heads in agreement.

Lil Man says "Yeah and he said I didn't have a phone - that I was a liar."

"Well there you have it - this boy does not know what he's talking about. You KNOW you have a phone - you can't possibly trust someone to tell you information when they so obviously don't know WHAT they are talking about."

The last part I said with authority. They bought it. Thank God.

Now, I understand Miss Thing is right on the edge of not believing being 9 and all - but Lil Man is only 7 and I'll be DAMNED if I am going to let this little prick ruin it. And in July - nowhere NEAR Christmas season! I understand that I threw the kid under the bus - but he deserved it. What kind of malicious thing is that to do? Seriously. Didn't his parents explain to him NOT to ruin it for other kids? Why even bring it up?

I fully intend to tell my daughter the truth if she presses me this year. But ONLY her. And I will tell her this - Santa IS real - he always has been. He lives in all of us. His spirit and the true meaning of Christmas is magical and special and everyone should experience that. We carry on the tradition as a way on honoring the spirit and we will continue to do so for all those who believe - including her brother, who she will be able to buy stuff for FROM SANTA. She will be Santa with the rest of us and feel the pure joy it brings. And she will not be allowed to ruin it for other kids - because she will believe in the spirit of giving, the love of others and the magic it brings into her heart.

Please parents, tell your kids the same. I don't want to WANT to poke your kids eyes out with a fork.

3 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Not a Granny said...

That was an amazing response! I don't think my children ever really came out and asked me. Well, no wonder, they still receive gifts from Santa, in special Santa wrap! (they are 26 and 24 now!!)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

What a little pain in the arse moron!! How dare he!! Let me at him!!
My kids are entering 9th grade and entering 7th grade. The both still believe -- I think they want to be sure they get presents. :-)
Heck - I saw Santa. He is real.
xo
LBC

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger ThatDeborahGirl said...

Every day of 36 as of this last July 3rd.

I still believe in Santa...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home