June 19, 2007

Apparently, Someone Wants To Be Sharpie MORE Than Me....

Someone stole my identity.

Yes, they did.

Fucking, fuckers, McFuckHeads.

I got a call from my On-The-Ball Credit Card SECURITY department (ya know, it's NEVER good when the SECURITY department calls you) to ask me if I had authorized a $2700 cash transfer to a Nameless Bank Account.

"Uhhhhhhh NO!"

"We didn't think so. We had to be sure. We had frozen the transaction to be sure."

"How? Who?"

"Seems like it was either by phone or e-mail. Either way - this person may have your social security number, name address and now your credit card number."

What the Gray FUCK IS THAT???

I have them cancel the account, issue new cards, put a password on top of the security question on my account.

Phone rings AGAIN the next day.

"Sharpie - ya know that brand new credit card number we issued yesterday that you haven't even gotten the cards for?"

"Uhhhhh Yeah."

"Seems that this person who has your information is using the internet to hack into your account. We have a HOTMAIL account and an IP address - but have not figured out exactly who it is. But Sharpie, they DO have your social security number - it's the only way to log in."

Shit. That means they can do anything. Open an account, get a loan - ANYTHING.

I have a new account opened and frozen until I call. I deny all internet access to that card. I spin around 3 times and Say There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home...

Next, I had to call Equifax - to have a Consumer Alert put on my name and social, as well as DH's. Topped with a PAID program that will HAVE to get a PERSONAL OK from MOI via phone for anything from a $200 credit card purchase to a balance transfer to permission to fart in my general direction. It is an immediate response. Nothing goes through without me.

This whole thing sucks the Big One. I am more than a bit paranoid right now. Could it be someone I know? I can't be sure until they do their investigation. And sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't use my real name on here - I guess that answers that.

Everyone - check your credit reports and check often - this can happen to ANYONE!

*Updated to add that all 3 agencies are linked and you only have to contact one in order to put a Consumer Alert on your name. Just an FYI.

6 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Beachgal said...

You probably have already, but don't forget to contact the other credit reporting agencies, too. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I'm sorry it happens to anyone. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no!!!! Jeeezum crow. I HATE people who pull shit like that!!! Luckily, you have a credit card company who clearly has a handle on what's valid and not, and that you can basically put a hold on any credit transaction, but still...that won't bring down your blood pressure or get back those hours you agonized over such a violation of privacy.

It sucks all the way around, and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it. People who steal identities should have their hairs plucked out one by one as punishment...ALL of them.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Miguelita said...

OMG!! What a pain in the neck to have to deal with all of that crap!
I had my eBay identity hijacked last week and that was enough of a hassle. But that is nothing compared to real, financial identity theft. So sorry to hear it but you definitely sound like you took all the right precautions.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Oh man! That just rots! I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this!!
LBC

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Violet said...

What a crappy crappy thing! I'm so sorry.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger sillypants said...

That scares the crap out of me. You are lucky ( for lack of a better word) that you caught it so quickly. What a nightmare. I am so sorry.

XOXO

Silly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home