May 04, 2006

In A Frenzy To Get Stuff Done

As I mentioned before, Sunday is Miss Thing's 1st Holy Communion. If you are not catholic - then let me help by saying...ITS A VERY BIG DEAL!! There is much practice, rehearsal and preparation to make this look like a seemingly effortless event. Each child has a "job". Something that is their very own to do on their special day. My daughter was very distraught because no one seemed to know what her "job" was.

She told me it was a Bear Symboler. A WHAT?! A Bear Symboler. Don't worry Mom, no one else knows what it is either.

Huh? That doesn't even SOUND like something for a Communion. A circus MAYBE.

So, I seek out a teacher, not HER teacher, as I loathe the air SHE breathes.
And I repeat the job name. Bear Symboler. The teacher, trying desperately to stifle the laugh that is surely coming up says, "Do you mean Symbol Bearer?" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Yes, I think that must be it. It seems they bring the SYMBOLS of the eucharist up during collection. Okey Dokey then.

ADDED TO MY CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO DO:
1. Clean the Dining Room as it is the pit of all existence.
2. Clean all other rooms including basement
3. Make cake
4. Plant flowers in pots outside
5. Buy plants to plant outside
6. Fix part of Veil/headband
7. Try on MY dress to make sure it still fits - UGHHHHHHH
8. Clean off deck tables - POLLEN crap.
9. Oh YEAH - WORK
10. Check Miss Thing for dyslexia.

Starting to slightly freak out. Slightly.

7 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger VTek said...

May it all go off without a hitch, and if it doesn't, don't sweat it and enjoy the day!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot one thing on your list...

Sit down and have a few shots of Jack Daniels for good measure. Oh, and put away all the good knick-knacks so Max doesn't think they're soley for his enjoyment.

Alright, that's two.

No worries, my dear. It'll be amazing, I'm sure. Plus, I'll be there so...uhhhh...yeah...it'll be amazing. :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Miguelita said...

As a fellow Catholic who has nursed her sisters through their own kid's communions (5 down, 5 to go)I can second that it is a HUGE DEAL. And alot of it falls on the Mom. The prep is also bigger for a girl because, lets face it, a suit is a suit. but a mini-bride is a whole 'nuther ball of organza.

Wish I were local. I'd plant my ass off and head up the pollen removal team for you. Hang in there.

-Michele (already fantasizing about my boys wearing little white suits, a la Anthony Corleone in Godfather II, when they make their 1st Holy Communion in, oh, 7 years. Shit, I better start preparing!!)

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

Good luck with your party.

We have have a communion to attend on Saturday. Any suggestions on what I should get as a gift?

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Island Girl

Typically the gift is money.
~ Sharpie

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger JayMonster said...

Hopes and wishes that all goes well. Just don't let the work involved keep you from taking the time to enjoy it with her.

I know it is all to easy to spend so much time trying to make sure everything is perfect only to not be able to cherish it because you spent the whole time being a housekepper, party planner, caterer, etc.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Ah! it sounds wonderful and just a tad scary (for you).

I'm sure everything will go perfectly. Deep breaths, Jack Daniels, deep breaths ... better?

best of luck!

-Blue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home