December 06, 2007

We Don't Text Message

Is that shocking to all of you?

DH & I just don't do it. I see no need. If I need to talk to him, I call. If I am busy, I wait. If he is busy, he waits. If I am at my computer, I email. It's not that I can't, after all, my phone has a full drop down keyboard. I use the keyboard to send emails from my phone. But, I don't text message. I just don't do it.

I have friends who are obsessed with texting. Their fingers word overtime over the tiny keypad, clicking and double clicking to get just the right letter. And they use that abbreviated language. I just never GOT why they did that, until I learned that the average text message can only be 160 CHARACTERS or less. Hence, the abbreviations. To say more, write less letters. OK. Since I don't USE the language, I don't really know a whole lot about it. I know the basics.... BRB, LOL and even C U L8ter. I don't know the fancy ones that are really numbers that MEAN something. I have no clue about those. And DH, he knows even less.

Yesterday, I emailed him asking what number he wanted for his Football Jersey that was to one of his presents. And BTW what size would he like L or XL?

His response (and I quote).... "By the way (BTW) come on give it to me. I know my fa-shiz-al. "

When he got home, I razzed him about his email. "Ya know, it wasn't a test - that BTW, I assumed you knew it. ........ You DID know it didn't you - did you have to look it up? Oh God, did you ASK someone?"

"NO! I KNEW it."

"Really?"

DH smirking..."Yeah, and I was all LOL when I saw it."

Laughing now..."BTW - You're an asshole. And no one says fashizzel anymore. You have no street cred what-so-ever."

Dh...."blink. blink."

"See.....none."

4 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I confess I don't know how to text, nor do I want to learn. My husband had enough trouble with emails, writing such short, unintelligble ones, that I often had to call him anyway to figure out what it was he was talking about.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

We don't text, nor do we allow texting on our phones. If you've got something to say, you best say it 'cause it will take me way longer to figure out the text message.

Email is my other best friend - the phone ties me down - even my cell because service is so spotty out here. (I can only talk on my cell phone in one spot in my kitchen. The rest of the house is a giant dead spot! We have to go out in the driveway to even get 1 bar!!)

The school system has a dictionary of all the text codes on it. Email me if you want the link. You can be hip like the kids in no time.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I H8 2 say that, Once I got 2 start texting, I started using it regularly.

FWIW, I didn't go voluntarily into this, but my BFF started, and since I have a keyboard as well...

However since I do have a keyboard I only tend to abbr. when really needed, since I don't have to use "T9" to write.

JayMonster

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I only text my kids, and that's because they don't answer their phones. And I dont' use abbreviations, because it will take me longer to do that than just spell out the words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home