September 11, 2007

I Just Have To Shout It From The Roof Tops!!!

Remember how I described Soccer season last year in regards to Lil Man's, well lack of aggressiveness, enthusiasm and competitiveness? No? Go read here.

Ok, so last year's account was a bit more colorful that I just let on, I know. Fucking, sue me.

Anyway,I digress. I came with news of this year's Fall Soccer Start.

I decided that this year, Lil Man is a year older and bigger and stronger, and damn it, WE LIKE HIM! (Do you all remember that skit?) He has a bit more edge to him, a lot more confidence and thanks to his father's relentless playful teasing, a whole shitload more aggression. He actually got so ticked at DH because he kept taunting him, that Lil Man snapped and punched DH RIGHT IN THE FACE!! Shock instantly registered across DH's face and then a smirk. He got what he wanted....a typical little boy's reaction to torment. Bravo. Fucking freaks. I will never understand the male testosterone. Ever.

I decided a better approach might be to introduce some sort of motivational tool. Some sort of reward offered for a job well done. I know, I know, some of you are saying "She shouldn't BRIBE her kid to do anything. He should do it on his OWN." And to you I say, Fuck Off. I know my kid and I know he needs confidence and I will dangle whatever necessary for him to feel the glory - ON HIS OWN.

Fast forward to Saturday, first game of the season, and while driving in the car I sneak a glance at Lil Man. He is completely non-plussed by the upcoming game. I see no fire, no spit and vinegar and I begin to have flashbacks of last season. I say to him, "Hey, Lil Man...have fun out there today! Do your best and try to play your position. Hey...ya know what?? If you score - I'll buy you a DS." (DS is the Nintendo DS handheld system.)

Both kids light up from the back seat. Miss Thing asks if this goes for her as well. I say, "Of course. Neither of you have had your first goal yet and I will be happy to do it if you are able to score a goal."

What I DON'T tell them is their father and I were going to buy them for them this weekend ANYWAY. We had talked about it for awhile and we doing it later on. DH turns toward me and half-smiles. He knows what I have just done. I have officially lit a fire under his ass.

So off we went, with our fold-up chairs slung on our backs, we set up shop on the sidelines with no expectations. I didn't actually THINK my dangling carrot would DO anything.

The game was well into the 2nd half, when Lil Man got a chance to play forward (the goal scoring position). Up until then, he had been mostly defense and had done pretty well whenever he was near the ball. Now, he ran up across the field from the boy with the ball - just as the boy lost the ball - Lil Man sent it flying through the net for his FIRST GOAL EVER!!

To say he was proud does not even scratch the surface. I have never seen him walk taller or feel better about himself. And I will tell you that DH and I floated around for 2 entire days - giddy that he had come into his own. Honestly - I am surprised that we didn't run up and down the sidelines screaming GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL and ripping off our shirts and running down the field. It was just THAT awesome.

Did he get his DS? You bet your ass. And the money spent was more than worth it for the confidence he found that day. Days like that,are what I love about being a Mom.

5 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Not a Granny said...

Woo Hoo!! Good job!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Miguelita said...

AWESOME!!! Good for him, and I totally support bribery if it gets them to a better place.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Electronics - yup, that sure is the way to a little boy's heart! I would have scored a goal if you were gonna buy me a ds!!
You go!!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME! There is no better feeling (in this moms opinion) than your baby scoring goal and the corresponding self confidence :-D

And I would have bribed too ;-)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great story! Last year when my daughter decided she wanted to play soccer, I was a bit nervous as she is normally very similar to how you describe little man.

However, once she gets on the field, she turns into Mia Hamm. I had contemplated a similar "reward" system to get her pumped. I'm glad I didn't as she had two goals in her first game and 5 in her first 6 games.

It certainly is a great feeling as a parent when you see them so full of pride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home