July 30, 2007

It Doesn't Matter That I Took Calculus in High School....

Saturday I found myself dodging raindrops to gather rations for my family's impending visit on Sunday. It was not a fancy ordeal - simply a cook-out with all the fixin's. While I had already loaded my truck with the oversized goodness of BJs, I found myself with a full cart at the local grocery store, Stop and Shop. Coming down the last frozen food aisle, I spied the Dunkin Donuts inside this particular store and thought, "Hey, I want iced coffee. Hey, DH will want iced coffee. And HEY I have a coupon - SCORE!"

Trot over to the counter, present the clerk with 2 coupons that would allow me to purchase a MEDIUM ICED COFFEE for $1.29 instead of the regular $2.09 - a deal, no? I cheerily tell her, 2 iced coffees regular please! I hand her the coupons.

"Uhhhhh, you can only use one, per visit."

"Are you going to make me come back for the other? Can't you just ring them separately? I mean, it doesn't say one per day..."

"Yeah, it's just that I could get in trouble - like I did today when I brought my purse behind the counter."

(Thinking this is a weird conversation - but WHATEVER.)


"Ok, well I don't want you to get in trouble - so I'll just use 1 coupon, ok?"

"No, no - it's ok - I'll ring them in different orders." (Doesn't that mean the same as separately???)

Rings in 1 medium iced coffee = $2.09 + tax = $2.19

She is STARING at the register. Clearly they do not have a BUTTON for the coupon. She yells in back for a calculator. Comes back with one and is really stumped.

"All you have to do is take $2.19 and minus $1.29 and find the difference."

(Staring at me like I have 9 heads) "What?! I can't have tax."

"Ok, then $2.09 - $1.29 is what ....80¢ right? There all set."

(clearly frazzled) "NOOOOOO it has to ADD UP TO $1.29!!!!"

"Yeahhhhhhhhh if you minus the 80¢ from $2.09 - you get $1.29....." (Holy crap, really??? REALLLLLLLYYY???)

"What?? - tell me again....(does the whole thing on the calculator under my direction - HUGE SMILE"

"What are you, like a Math Teacher or something?!"

"uhhh, no."

Proceeds to ring the next order - has completely forgotten the entire process and I have to tell her step by step AGAIN.

"OK - here's the money - thanks."

"Seriously, are you like a Math Teacher??? Cuz this happens ALL THE TIME and we should have your number on SPEED DIAL."

"No, NOT a Math Teacher. I just think that this NEW MATH screwed all of you up."



Ok, Seriously?? When it is ok to pass kids through school who so obviously have no basic skill sets? They can't add or subtract without guidance or the cash register with pictures and buttons to do it for them. When did this become ok to us?

I feel sorry for these kids - they are on the fast track to minimum wage and a good possibility of being taken advantage of simply because they wouldn't know the difference. They can text message with their eyes closed, download music and pay bills online - but can't make change. Unbelievable. Maybe I should have left her my number......

5 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Not a Granny said...

Maybe you should become a Math Teacher. I like the idea of being "on call" for those days when the power goes out and they have to take orders and make change via paper...That is always fun!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world where teaching to the standardized tests became more important that... you know... actually having the kids learn and understand their subjects, so they could actually apply them in the real world.

Thanks to No Child Left Behind, these types of people are going to become more and more prevalent.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Miguelita said...

I thought I was brilliant when I figured out that instead of calculating what 20% of something was and then subtracting it from the total, I could just figure out 80% in the first place. I kind of get that Dunkin Donuts girl's excitement.

PS - I changed my blog url after some in-law related drama. You can now find me at:

http://igot2babe.blogspot.com/

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Wow. My brain hurts after just reading that. You are so much more patient than I would have been, and I'm an accounting major - LOL!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Have you considered tutoring? You could make some serious cash...
xo
LBC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home