June 05, 2007

We Are All A Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Around Here

We just got word that Miss Thing has received the dubious honor of representing her class in the all-important 3rd Grade Math Fact Bee! Also known as the "Event For The Kids Who Can't Spell - So We Made Up a Math Fact Bee". Doesn't even sound right - Math. Fact. Bee. - Spelling Bee sounds right, no? And why a Bee? Can someone tell me what the fuck that has to do with a bunch of overly-sensitive preteens sweating profusely TRYING to say as quickly as humanly possible "8 X 8 is 64!!!!!!!!" The whole event does not last long. The kids have to answer as many multiplication facts as possible in one minute. I know. You are riveted.

In case of a tie - they bring out the BIG guns - division. And the winner gets to do my taxes. I kid. I have no idea WHAT the winner gets. Probably NOTHING as the entire school is under the "We Are ALL Number One - No One Is Better Than Anyone Else" philosophy. I can't stand it. And Miss Thing - SO COMPETITIVE!

I am very proud of her especially since just mere weeks ago she was struggling to even get them right. Apparently schools do not teach Multiplication Facts the same way we learned - by repetition until memorized. Their new ways including teaching kids how to do the 9 Tables with your fingers. Have you ever? It seems it's all the rage. All the cool kids are doing it.

Her teacher e-mailed me to tell me she was chosen earlier in the day and by the time Miss Thing burst through the door - I was busy doing 10 things and totally let the wind out of her sails. She later confided that she "thought I might have been happier." OUCH. Hard to recover from that sting. I felt bad. Really FUCKING bad. I should have made a bigger deal. I should have baked cookies or put up a poster. Good to see I am still in the running for Mother of the Year 2007....

The truth IS I AM happy. Thrilled - over the moon and scared that she'll be disappointed if she doesn't do well. I need to LEARN how to be more emotional with my kids and let them SEE me feel instead of trying to always cover it up with a brave face - which just looks like a face of indifference.

So - tomorrow around 2:30 - say a little prayer for Miss Thing! I'll be there cheering her on - with pom-poms and a happy ear-to-ear grin if I have to crazy glue it on! Go Miss THING!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Miss Thing!!!!!

We'll be rooting her on loudly over here...cuz that's how we roll.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Way to go Miss Thing!!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

w00t! Go Miss Thing!

I'm in awe 'cause I can't do math worth crap. Yep, I'm craptastic at math; craptacular; indeed, crapceptional!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope she creams all the other kids and then yells "I'm better than you!"

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Go Miss Thing!! Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home