April 03, 2007

Little Picasso

I think I have mentioned, oh two or ten thousand times, that Lil Man most definitly has an artistic eye. He is able to draw almost anything from his imagination - rather than havng to have a model in which to copy. Miss Thing needs to look at reference to draw - and she gets VERY frustrated if her drawings do not live up to her expectations.

It reminds me of myself as a child. My father had unbelievable artistic abilities. I was very envious of them as a young kid and worked extra hard to try to make them look like his. Miss Thing is the same way - but with less focus. She has MANY things she is interesting in - playing guitar, reading, singing, karate - you see my point.

Lil Man's sole purpose in life is to document each and every thought he has on paper. He is endlessly drawing. And he is very talented for his young age. You can see some examples below from the Town Rec Art Class he took in Kindergarten. (I thought I had posted these already - but I can't find them.) To set the stage, this was an outside the school art class - that I paid for - this is a collection of the the VERY FIRST DAY OF CLASS.







Talented and funny as hell. I think I must have laughed harder THAT day than I ever have in MY WHOLE LIFE.

From his first day of preschool, I knew he had talent. I walked in to pick up my missing appendage - as he was my BABY and had never left my side until this point and the teachers swarmed me.

"We have NEVER seen a kid draw like your son!!"

I'll be honest, I didn't even know he COULD draw at that moment. I had never SEEN him do it. I felt bad for not knowing his talents. But, I was a full time working mom IN THE HOME and he played very well independently and I guess he had been drawing away on his own. Thus, handing down the torch from Loser Mom from the first kid - awesome.

They showed me his drawings of a whale. That he drew from his head. At age 3. It had DETAILS. Water spouting out, ocean floor with sealife and plants. They were amazed. And I was proud. REALLY PROUD.

Fast forward to this weekend, countless crayons, markers and pads of paper later - we were sitting in Friendly's Restaurant booth. I love establishments who take the endless waiting into consideration and give the kids those booklets with little activities to do and some crayons. It occupies them and makes me not want to kick them under the table.

Both kids are quietly devouring all of the activities and have moved on to the back cover where there is a large open area for free thinking drawing. While DH and I are enjoying some peaceful little banter, Miss Thing is using her 3 crayons to create a mosaic or stain-glass effect. It is very pretty. I am not really paying attention as DH and I are talking over some new car buying plans.

DH looks over to Lil Man's paper, who is sitting directly in front of me, and his eyes bug out.

"What?? Are you ok? Are you choking on the waffle fries?"

"Did you see what he is drawing?" Dh whispers just under his breath.

I look over and I start to chuckle.

"Is it?" DH is lost for words.

"Yeah, I believe it is."

Lil Man is oblivious to this as he is in the ZONE.

I am full-on laughing at this point. "Lil Man? Are you drawing Jesus on the cross?"

"Yeah." he answers in a no big deal manner. He has made the cross the same mosaic stainglass effect his sister used and he has ALL the details in there.

DH is clearly uneasy of the fact that Lil Man is drawing Our Savior as he died for our sins.

I think it's hysterical and SO Lil Man to draw whatever had popped into his head.

"Can he DO that? I mean, what if someone else sees?" DH whispers to me.

No great artist ever got that way by censoring their beliefs. Lil Man drew what was on his mind. He did not make fun or be disrespectful.

We left the drawing for the waitress. What do you think she thought of it?

9 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Louise said...

I teach art to kids aged from 3 years to 13 years old- and first let me say: Wow.

Secondly, I think you are right to just let him do whatever is in his head whether it looks realistic or not (though it seems his realism is pretty spot on) as the biggest part of kids' drawing is expression.

Oh and some of the greatest artists in history have made their livings drawing the big J on the cross... we had to get those pictures from somewhere! I don't think you need to worry until he starts depicting Jesus getting friendly with Mary Magdalene...

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a major talent on your hands! Go, Lil Man!!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

OMG, I am totally cracking up! Those drawings are hysterical (and pure genius)! Here from LadyBug Crossing.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a talented kid...and I hope that waitress appreciates the drawing.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Miguelita said...

Dont censor the little guy! He is quite good.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know me...I'm ALL about supporting first amendment rights, even if it does pertain to my 6 year old nephew.

I personally am a huge fan of his work, and proudly display, what we fondly refer to as, the penis flower on our Christmas tree.

You watch...those SAME sketches are going to fetch a hefty sum on Ebay when he's famous.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger melodyann said...

Hey, I didn't know my kids could draw till they were in high school...

I think it's totally awesome that you left the picture for the waitress. If she has half a brain in her head, she will take it home and tape it to her fridge. I would....

by the way, I'm melodyann, and I think you are so incredibly funny. I just found your blog the other day and linked to it immediately, cause you made me laugh. that's harder to do than you might think..

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

he's quite talented! I do have to admit the back of the lion had me going there for a moment.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger ThatDeborahGirl said...

The back of the lion...funny! And very good once you know what it is.

I think if that one guy can make an anatomically correct naked chocolate Jesus then it's perfectly ok for your son to draw Him anywhere he wants. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home