September 12, 2006

Ya Heard It Here First

Rock and Roll is coming back!

Yes, it IS. Shut up, it is.

I know this from the immense amount of research I've done on the subject, interviews with everyone in-the-know and statistics gathered from the sales of record labels. Ok, that's all bullshit. But, I do have a few factors that I've taken into consideration to support my thesis. They are as follows....

1. While teaching my class in the computer lab at the Art College, I hear MANY songs coming from MANY iPods plugged into their computers - but above all of them I hear and RECOGNIZE "I'm the Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains. My heart, be still - you're getting an A.

2. Three letters - V.M.A. - MTV's Video Music Awards was a plethora of rock bands winning, including Panic! at the Disco - which by the way, I think my family should be getting royalties for since I am positve my father wrote that song that goes "Hasn't anyone ever heard of - closing the God Damn door" back in 1973. I'm just sayin.

3. MTV Cribs has long been associated with the rap artists and their kicks, rides and bling. I actually saw a Rock God addition of Cribs with the likes of Dee Snyder and Gene Simmons to name a few. I'm not sayin they're Gods - but I am SO tired of the staged refrigerator shot of the Cristal top to bottom.

4. And speaking of Gene Simmons - he has HIS OWN show. And his family is normal (ok, somewhat normal - more like my family - not that WE are normal - but you get what I'm sayin) - that are the Anti-Ozzy family.

5. Hallmark announced that they are putting sound bytes in a line of their cards and KISS is one of them. I can't wait to see where this takes us....

6. Shows like SuperGroup, Rockstar SuperNova, Tommy Goes To College and CSI starring Kid Freakin Rock on primetime.

7. AC/DC music is EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE. From the iPods, to phones to many other products - they are raking in serious royalties daily. Not to mention the fact that they are selling their merchandise in the Big Box stores like Walmart and Target.

8. VH1 actually has a section on their website called Rock on TV - where you can find out where any particular artist is playing - whether as a soundtrack or a live act. Yeah, that IS cool.

9. A student leans over to me during class to say, "Don't think I don't know that you were rocking out to Twisted Sister in the Big Blue Minivan when you left last week." Oh yes. Yes, I was.

10. Dragon Force. Look them up. They're gonna be huge.


So, there you have it.

Right here, on this blog, I am officially declaring the upswing of Rock and the downward spiral of Rap as we know it. After all, how can the Rap Genre survive on lyrics from London Bridge, the children's nursery rhyme? Get serious.

Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution..........

8 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Quick, hide the children - b/c you know what rock n' roll does to them. Ha!

I can totally 'see' you rocking out to twisted sister in the minivan. Were you nodding your head with your arm out the window doing that 'rock on' sign with your fingers? Come on, I know you were.

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean I can start buying Aqua Net again?

And Sharpie, I am very proud that the Sister is coming out of the van speakers. And I am even prouder that college students KNOW who the Sister is. THAT should be a college course--80s glam metal.

PS Tommy Lee on the Ellen Show is NOT metal. NOT metal at all. My heart is broken.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read the evidence your provided and I concur.

Stopping by CVS after work for some AquaNet.

Michele -

http://mommycakes.blogspot.com

I switched to blogger beta and I cant leave comments as me yet. Oy vey.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Rock on, girlfriend.

It's about bloody time. I've been waiting half my life for this ... REVOLUTON!

Bad music sucks ass and I'm sick of walking in the music store and hearing whiney angst or illiterate anti-music dripping from the sound system.

-Blue

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger VTek said...

I have to agree when I saw the AC/DC & other R&R T-shirts for toddlers & kids in Target yesterday -lol.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger RWB said...

We the products of the 80s, the “Youth Gone Wild” the “Rock Soldiers”…When KISS was Gene, Ace, Peter and Paul…before Rob Halford came out, when Cliff Burton was still playing bass, before Dave Mustaine got sober, when Def Leppard had a two armed drummer, before CC lost his hair, when aqua net and mascara weren’t just for the girls, before Tom Keifer lost his voice, when Motley Crue was Tommy, Vince, Mick and Nikki, before Jon Bon Jovi became a stock holder, when God gave rock n roll to all of us, when we were all “Wasted Rock Rangers”

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Heather - yes, yes I was and I even chirped the wheels on the way out....

CrueGirl - YESSSSSSSSS!! I actually veneered an antique vanity table with mirror with SuperHold - the white and purple bottle as a kid.....ah, good times.....

Blue - ya right girl, ya right.....

Carol - I may or may not have torn up the boys section of Target looking for a matching AC/DC for Lil Man ....

JagerMonster - I think that should be on a tee....Blue, what do you think?? Awesome, truly could not have said it better myself......

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger amanda said...

I referenced this post last night when talking to a friend about this same thing she sees coming. We were remembering how after school we'd have to suffer through Yo! MTV Raps for half an hour before the countdown would come on and we could watch Skid Row videos. I think we're at a similar point, which is a blessing now that I've got a kid--I can survive many thinigs, but a Jay Z CD on repeat upstairs isn't one of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home