March 25, 2008

Tuesday Randomness

I am just exhausted today, I KNOW it is only 6:30 AM, but I barely dragged myself out of bed to have coffee with my hubby. You'd think with grad school being on break, I would be relaxing, but NO. So, because I am so tired, I am going to give you the abbreviated version of a post via bullets.

• My hubby brought the kids to the mall to buy me a birthday present over the weekend. They wanted to buy me the Buxton purse, but since they couldn't find it, they settled on 2 shirts. Now, I SPECIFICALLY told them to buy XLs as I have not been able to wear anything else in YEARS, but they came home with Larges. I protested. My husband said, "Look, try them on, those XLs are WAY too big for you now. Seriously." I didn't want to try them on because I thought for sure they would not fit and I would be embarrassed. But, guess what...They did fit. A Size Large. Wow. Too bad the shirts are U-G-L-Y. Hey, they tried.

• I got another 2 A's on my grad school classes, including the one on my thesis topic and beginning of the paper. I start another 2 classes on March 31st.

• The kids got a Wii from the Easter Bunny. I know, I KNOW - it seems ridiculous, but we had been looking for one for MONTHS and had put my BIL on the case and lo and behold, he came through 2 weeks before Easter. The kids LOVED it. And I gotta say, it is REALLY fun. And more surprising is the fact that NEITHER kid even questioned the existence on the Easter Bunny. I thought FOR SURE it would have come up, but it didn't and I'm glad.

• We booked a 2 week trip to Europe in the summer to see my SIL and her family. I am so excited. They are taking us to Paris and we're going to the LOUVRE! Never in my life, did I think I would be able to put my EYEBALLS on the great works that reside there. Seriously, as an artist, there is no more sacred of a place. I could cry right now thinking about it.

• For Easter, I hemmed my own pants. By MySELF. Well, not exactly, I had called my SISTER as she is the sewing chick in the family and I nearly had an audible deflation in confidence right on the phone. First, she asked if I had ironed them and then she laughed and laughed. Because anyone who knows me, knows I do not iron. Ever. I once sent my daughter over to my Mom's for the day and my mother started to iron and my daughter was very curious and strangely LOOKING at the weird steaming thing, as she asked my mother, "What IS that?" I have never lived that down. But, I did hem those pants and they were not awful.

• My son left the bathroom after showering in tears last night. I asked him why. His lip quivered. He said because he was the second fattest kid in his class. *heart sank* Let me say for the record, as I said to him, he is NOT fat. Not a skinny twig. NOT FAT. He is destined to be a larger kid genetically. However, he doesn't want to hear that in second grade. He has been very conscious of his weight over the past few months and I can't help but wonder if me dieting and working out pushes this to the forefront for him. My heart broke when he looked so sad. We made a pack to walk together every night for 10 minutes. I am NOT putting him on a diet as he absolutely does NOT need to be. A bit of exercise will make him feel good about himself and can't hurt, so that is how I am proceeding. But, FUCK if someone says something to him, I may have to bury the body. Any takers on my bail?

• And lastly, for those who played name the Gross Gene Simmons Sex Tape...the winner is Christine with "Detroit Cock City." Thanks everyone for playing.

Have a Sparkling Day!

7 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Your poor sweet boy. My #1 was a larger elementary kid. We took him to a nutritionist and that helped a lot. She told him what was healthy and what to avoid. She gave him an alternate meal in case he didn't like what we were serving for dinner. (He got real sick of peanut butter on wheat real fast.) We put him on the swim team and his confidence grew incredibly!!
He has stretched out and is now a tall thin teenager. He still eats a lot of peanut butter!
The best thing we ever did was put the boy on a swim team. When he first started, he could barely swim a lap. It was all about the exercise and that is what the nutritionist told him.
It really helped him a lot.
xo
LBC

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Lana M. said...

When I started on this whole weight loss thing, I was very conscientious about how I handled it with the kids. I did not want them seeing what I saw, which is a mother who has been on a diet for 50 years and never satisfied with her body. Nor did she exercise. So I approched it as (and the term I use) is a "lifestyle choice." I made it not about my weight or body, I made it about physical activity and what we are putting in to it. As well as being aware of what constitutes a "portion size" I have 2 girls & 3 boys and do not want ANY of them to have body issues or eating disorders.

Make them interested in being healthy with you. Weight Watchers sells a calculator for $15 that figures out how many "points" something is (you can buy it w/out being on WW.) My youngest daughter uses it for everything they snack on. If it comes out to be a high number they know its probably not a smart choice and will look for a better one. I also taught them how to read the labels to figure out fat/carbs/calories & serving size. It makes them feel smart and in control of how they CHOOSE to eat.

Sorry this is so long.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Not a Granny said...

Congrats on the weight loss!!! Woo Hoo!! Hey, the Wii's are actually pretty good exercise. Especially if you play tennis!!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I finished reading your post with tears in my eyes. Children can be so cruel to each other. And it bothers me that society encourages these ultra skinny shapes, even in young men. You bet I'll help bury the body. I'll drive the getaway car too.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I wish we could keep our kids locked up in some kind of industrial bubble wrap, protecting them from evil comments and debilitating, self-depricating thoughts.

He's one of the most amazing kids I know, I'm a better person for knowing him and I wish he knew that.

And people wonder why I always say I'd never want to be a kid again.

Smooshes.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Melzie said...

I love our Wii, so much fun!! :) My fave game is the olympics... I've been trying to find (or win on ebay) DDR, but no luck. ENjoy all!! And yay on the "L's" Woot!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Amie Adams said...

Oh your son's tears just broke my heart. At that age kids go through "chubby" stages right before they're ready to grow taller. Poor guy.

And congrats on the new size! What a nice birthday surprise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home