March 19, 2008

The Day I Got To Play A RockStar

A few weeks ago, Miss Thing had come home from her school and told me that she had Art class, her most favoritest class in the whole world world. My kids are chips off the old block and certainly have artistic ability. They love to draw and create and Miss Thing fancies herself following in my footsteps to Graphic Design, one day taking over the family business. I welcome the extra set of hands.

She proceeds to tell me that she told her teacher that I had gone to the same Art College as she did. The teacher was intrigued and began peppering her with questions, I assume to see if I knew any dirt on her partying, etc. Miss Thing tells her that NOT ONLY did I GO there, but unlike her teacher, I actually TEACH there now. Yeah, I'm guessing that was awkward, but since my daughter loves this woman, she knew it was just pride speaking and not arrogance.

When Miss Thing's regular teacher arrived, Art Teacher asked her if she knew that I taught at very prestigious Art College?!? The teacher (and God, I love her sick sense of humor) says, "Well then, she obviously did better since you're teaching here!" And they cut up laughing. Hearing the story from my kid didn't sound very funny, but not long after that the Art Teacher contacted me to come in and give a presentation to Miss Thing's class about Graphic Design. Miss Thing was swelled with pride and I figured if I could teach the college kids, I could win over some 10-year olds. I hoped.

I was supposed to venture to the school last week, but last minute Lil Man came down with strep throat for the very first time in his life and actually stated that it was the worst he had EVER felt in his whole life. Poor baby. I have had strep and IT IS the worst thing in your whole life. Miss Thing was not happy. Lil Man told me on the way to the doctor's that "she did that thing people do - ya, know the MAD face *proceeds to scrunch up face, eyes squinted* at him TWICE." I had to laugh.

So, yesterday was the big day. I went to the school armed with my portfolio and samples of my work. All of the classrooms have SmartBoards *really freaking cool white boards that hook to a laptop making it a full screen interactive touch-screen computer*. So, I loaded up my webpage that has my portfolio on it and took a few deep breaths. If I fucked this up, my daughter would be devastated.

But, I didn't. I engaged them and showed them things. I taught them things they didn't know. And they thought I was COOL! They asked questions. They were IMPRESSED! My daughter beamed with pride! They all want to be Graphic Designers now. Too cute. They were writing down my URL to check out later. They gushed that they love my name. I have a very unusual name IRL. I was totally a RockStar.

Miss Thing came home and said that her friends say she has "The Best Mom In The World!" Aw shucks, go on...No, GO ON!!!!

Think I can remind her of this in a few years when she hates my freakin guts?

3 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These kids just discovered something we already knew...

YOU ROCK!!!

But seriously, it's gotta be the best feeling in the world to let your daughter show off her cool-ass Momma once in a while.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

You're so cool!!

xo
LBC

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger melody said...

Oh, I totally wanna be you, dude. And you DO have the coolest name EVER!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home