March 03, 2008

I'm Going Green

Not in the tree-hugging chaining of my body, granola hemp fashion that some embrace. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's just that I need to form baby steps and well, I have certain things like shaving my legs that are a deal breaker.

I am writing my thesis for grad school and have chosen to continue delving into the things that a graphic designer can do to positively impact our environment. Without boring the shit out of you - the answer is A LOT. As designers we contribute to the mass amounts of waste, natural resources and environment pollutants that go into our world. If you consider that nearly everything is DESIGNED, we can certainly make a difference if the mindset and practices are changed to more environmentally conscious ways. Well, so much for NOT boring the shit out of you, huh?

I found my way to this subject as I sat in my nice office contemplating what my purpose was. Deep, right? I was plagued by the facts. I am a self-made successful designer, an adjunct professor at a prestigious art school, a grad student currently carrying a 4.0 average, a mom to 2 wonderful, bright, athletic, funny children, wife to an amazingly hard worker, lover & best friend; house cleaner to a beautiful home, friend and family member to some of the best people I could ever wish to know. BUT. Is that all I am here for? The answer I came up with was...No.

As a designer I have a social and environmental obligation to do MY part to create the best world possible - for me, for my children, for all of us. I have an obligation as a designer to DO NO HARM.

The more I read, and I read A LOT, I realized that there are MANY things we can do. Many small things that will better our world.



Today I ordered reusable shopping bags. You can go see them here.

One day at a time, I plan to make changes. I will post them as I go along.

2 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a fabulous topic, one that you'll be able to keep moving with and, perhaps, get published somewhere. It's unique and a perspective the public isn't used to hearing...which is part of what I LOVE about it.

And those bags? FABOO. I'd order some for myself, but we already have 17 plain, jane green ones from the grocery store. But, I do use them ALL THE TIME.

Keep it up, my fabulously green sister!!!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you! I think that's great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home