April 03, 2006

So Here I Weigh In

I have read on many a post, the firestorm debate I like to call
"The Old Bait and Switch". Some, who will remain nameless,
believe that under no circumstances should a woman gain any
extra pounds than what she had when they were dating because
it's false advertising.

Hmmm.

Well, considering that I have been on both sides - a very skinny
bride and a not-so-skinny Mom - here's how I weigh in...


*• I know that when I was at my skinniest and my heaviest
I wasn't happy with my body BUT my husband was.

*• I know that if I were on Survivor I could last weeks without food....

*• I know that without the weight - I would still be the person
that I am in my heart.

*• I know that these broad shoulders have withstood the weight
of my husband without a job for 9 months as well as two
major back surgeries WITH a smile on my chubby face.

*• I know that I have been on every diet, taken prescription meds
and run for hours on an elliptical for 3 months and only lost
10 fucking pounds. I did gain my own respect though.

* I know that I could walk a hundred miles in my own shoes
today and every day.

*• I know what works for me doesn't for everyone.

*• I know that making huge generalizations about what
people SHOULD do and look like can spiral into historic
catastrophes.

*• I know that when I pray in church, I do not pray for my
hips to shrink, but to always be here to take care of my
family with all the love I can hold in my big body.

*• I know that regardless of weight, I AM a different person
than I was 15 years ago when I met my husband. Of course
I am. And he is too. But we have grown together (every which
way) and love each other more and more with every wrinkle,
pound and memory.

Would I like to be skinny? Sure. Would I give up the laugh lines in my face?
No fucking way. Would I give up the stretch marks that will forever
remind me of the two beautiful beings that I made in my glorious body?
Hell no. They are mine. They are my reminder of who I am.


I am me and I am happy.

5 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

That was a great fucking post.

'Nuff said!

-Blue

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.. what she said.

Love,
Brenda
(who is feeling particularly unloved this week)

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Miguelita said...

Very, very well said.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger amanda said...

Sing it, sister!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Melody said...

I absolute LOVED this post and can relate, and agree, with every aspect of it.... Way to go!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home