March 28, 2007

I am Going To Be 12,775 Days Old

This is how my pediatrician tells the kids how old they are - in months and days. What the fuck it THAT? I JUST got Lil Man to remember the month and day he was born - let alone that he is going to be 7, and there ya go fucking it up telling the kid in months and days. I'm not entirely sure he even KNOWS all the months.

Anywho, I digress.

I am coming dangerously close to another birthday. On Saturday, I will be 35.

That seems like a ridiculous impossibility considering I feel (and act) no more than 22 or 12 on a really GOOD day. So, I sat here thinking about what it means to BE 35. Half way to 70. Holy Shit. Yeah. I realized that I have certain things that I did not have at 25 - so I started a list. Here's what I have so far.

1. Hair in places I have never had before. Also gray hair - um, everywhere. Hello pretty.

2. Two jobs. That I like. That make enough to pay bills AND go to a bar for drinks. If I had the energy.

3. A bedtime. I NEED sleep. Never in my life have I needed sleep like I do now.

4. The following items - springform pans, a large table sized calculator with register tape, anti-aging moisturizer, napkins in every pocket, place etc (ya know - just in case), and tweezers in all bathrooms (see #1)

5. A different face and body. Where the hell did that 25 year old body go that I thought I hated? The one that thought she was SO fat - I'll show her fat....Come back - I love youuuuu...

6. Two friends. Which is about 20 less than I had at 25. Turns out they were not really friends at all.

7. Wisdom and an abundant amount of life lessons. And I treasure each one.

8. An appreciation for my life, the people in it and how quickly it can all be gone. I have learned to stop rushing through it and stop and have a cup a coffee with it. My 25 year old self never got that.

9. Eleven years of marriage with the one person who truly GETS me. Understands me AND still allows me to be my crazy self. At 25, we had just made it through our first year of marriage and it seemed so hard. Boy that girl didn't know the half of it.

10. Laughter. Great huge gobs of laughter EVERY day at myself, at others, at life in general. I wish someone would have told me to laugh more then.

What have you learned now, that you didn't know 10 years ago?

8 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Louise said...

The right to vote.

And a gorgeous "other half" who I love more and more each day

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

10 years ago... Hmmm... That seems so long ago now... I was thinner and my hair wasn't gray... I thought I had good friends (alas I was definitely incorrect about some of them)... I lived in the city...

Now I live in the country, I have a few very close friends, I enjoy what I have, I laugh every day with my Mr. , I blog, I enjoy life and I certainly don't sweat the gray hair (even though my mother keeps telling me I need hair dye). I love my life now. I try to enjoy every single day.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 years ago...

I thought this country could never have a worse representative on the world stage than Dan Quayle.

I thought turning 31 was the end of the world.

I thought I could actually get the house "all fixed up" and would be able to enjoy it "in ten years"

I thought bake sales were for other people.

I couldn't understand the people that were always having to push their fundraisers on co-workers.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten years ago, I thought I'd never find someone who loves me for me, that I'd never WANT to have children, and that I'd remain single forever. I was in a bad place that I needed rescuing from, and I couldn't imagine that my friends or family would ever look at me the same again.

Today? I rule. My husband is the best piece of nerd-ass, ever. He adores me and all my flaws, and helped me create the two little miracles asleep down the hall. I'm no longer in that bad place. I have confidence, ambition, resources, amazing relationships with a few women I adore, thicker skin (both figuratively and literally), clarity (on most days), medication, a small but functioning roof over my head, a few dollars in the bank (operative word being FEW), and a future to look forward to.

Happy birthday, Sharpie. Smooches and we'll see you on Saturday!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Hello, Ladybug sent me~

I've learned patience. I wish I would have been more patient ten years ago, but hey.

Nice meeting you!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger melodyann said...

I have learned that Little Debbie is the Devil...

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

LOL to number 5.

i remember being SOOOO upset by my young self.

freakin' idiot.

Try 43. Ugh. OLD!

One good thing about being over 40 is a "fuck you, this is me, deal with it Twinkie, cuz YOU'LL be this age soon, Bwahahahahah!" sort of thing.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Sarahviz said...

With you on the body thing! Hated my body, even before kids. What I would do now to have that pre-mom, pre-stretch mark, pre-ski slope boobs, pre-muffin top bod back....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home