July 05, 2006

What A Racket

The kids set up their Kool-Aid stand on Monday, hoping to make a few bucks that they already (in their minds) spent at the local Toy Store. Of course, they come out ahead, since I bought the Kool-Aid they were selling - it was pure profit. Not the best lesson in entrepreneurship - but oh well. A few hours of hard labor, out in the 90 degree blazing sun was as good a lesson in commitment as any, so off we went.

We set up shop with all of the necessary items. Kool-Aid stand (from Grandma) - check. Kool-Aid Jammers in the cooler with ice - check. Sign - check. Money for change - check. Shades - check. Lunch - check.

And they waited. Patiently. For a good 45 minutes. Not one customer. Did they give up? Hell, no. Because they are good kids with hard-working morals?? - Again HELL NO!.

It's because last year they set up shop and made $35.00 in 3 hours!! Yes, $35.00 dollars. I thought it would be a good lesson for them - set up shop, sit around, wave to the potential customers - make a few dollars. Maybe even learn how to make change. Never in my wildest imagination would I think they could make THAT much. So much for the lesson about HARD work, right?

Well, if you saw these 2 cuties waving their wanting-to-make-a-million-dollar smiles - I guess you might stop too.





First customers were our wonderful neighbors who stopped by. They had been working hard in the backyard - so they decided to "Cool Off" at the stand. I yelled to my kids (from my shady spot on the front porch) that they were to get the neighbors discount - FREE!! The neighbor waved me off - no such thing - carefully listened as they told them all of the flavor choices and then made his selection. He really played it up. They LOVED it. His son also made a choice, carefully turning to roll his eyes at his father's acting - he's 12 after all and thought it was SO STUPID. My kids (nor dear old dad) never noticed, but it gave me a chuckle.
And of course - he paid them - off they went.

I ASSUMED he gave them a dollar since each were 50 cents. Ahhhhh NO. He gave them $2 - keep the change.

The next customer went flying by in a red car, that I believe may have been bouncing with the way the bass drum was kicking - stopped and turned back into the driveway. A young, very good looking, well-dressed man steps out - hollers to me that he is another neighbor's son and goes into the same act. I yell to the kids to make sure to give him his change - again I get the wave off and away he speeds. The kids came running over to show me the $4.00 he paid for ONE Kool Aid Jammer! 4 fucking dollars!! WTF? How nice IS that??





So, while I sat ROUGHING IT (YES that IS a cellphone, Ipod and digital camera, as well as, my house phone), this kind of generosity was the theme of the day. Some people just pulled in to GIVE their money - no product exchanged. Weird. I wondered, to myself, if I would do that. I think I would. I guess I would HAVE to now, right?

When all was said and done, (read they were fried sitting out in the direct sun-light for 3 hours) - they made $15.00. Not bad for the Under 9 crowd. Off we went, to go dip in the pool and dream about how they were going to spend their fortunes. Maybe they can keep this up and pay for college.......

Well, it IS summer and a girl CAN dream, no?

13 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Man, you're the good mom. I always made my kids mix up powdered koolaid.

My house phone looks almost exactly like that.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

They look so cute. And with the pre-made stand with shade and all? Hilarious. The kids are adorable of course. I would have given them a few bucks for sure.

And I'm loving your stash of goodies on the porch. Where's the chocolate though??

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Miguelita said...

I ALWAYS stop and buy from kids. And I never take the change. Ever.

I would have been good for at least a fiver.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Umm, ok help an Aussie out: I think I know what kool-aid is (cordial right??), but what is a kool-aid JAMMER?????

I have all sorts of unlikely visions in my head....

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Yeah, Louise, Kool aid is a brand of cordial (I'm an Anglophile so I hope I have that right ... powder mixed with water to make a drink?) and a Jammer is just Kool-aid pre mixed in a foil pouch ( a juice box, basically)

I could park my brood out on the lawn on a Saturday night with a cooler of Coors and make a sweet killing!

-Blue

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Sharpie said...

LOUISE - Kool-Aid is a drink we "good Moms" give to our kids made with colored sugar and water (comes in a packet). But since I am too lazy to even do that - I buy the premade ones Jammers - they are like juice boxes with the kool aid inside.

Michele - A fiver?? Really?? I don't think I would do that - a couple of bucks yes - You are the nice mom!!

Heather - there was no chocolate as it was 9000 degrees outside - my soda went warm in 1.2 minutes....

Wendy - I hate that phone - it NEVER keeps a charge. Never. It probably doesn't help that it is always attached to my ear - but whatever!!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Sharpie said...

DAMN IT BLUE - we posted at the SAME time!! LOL!! NOW a Beer stand - we could do awesome!!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger BSumner said...

hahahaha a beer stand. LOL see I'd totally buy one and tip them extra good. Was that stand something you bought?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Sharpie said...

Brenda -

Grandma made that purchase - at Christmas Tree store I think. She's always good for something like that!!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Ahhh... mystery solved. In my neck of the woods we call those juice boxes "poppers".

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger JayMonster said...

Aren't budding entrepreneurs fun? :)

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite your ridiculously manicured yardly landscaping and the fact those two are relations and all, I'd still stop and give 'em a fiver for a jammer.

And, you know how tight I am w/the Lincolns.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Cheryl:) said...

Around here some kid got a ticket from the cops for not having a "SALES PERMIT"....
can you believe that??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home