June 20, 2006

Ahhhhh Summer

There is something almost kinda magically about the season of Summer here on the East Coast. Its like Christmas in a way. You tick off the days on your calendar in anticipation of its big arrival, starting right after the snow starts to melt. The trees seem to sprout buds overnight and the flowers are up and in bloom behind your back. And the first day you sit outside with your face pointed up to the sky and the warmth of the sun actually makes you smile. It brings you back to your childhood like a slingshot.

I love summer.

I love the sun. I love the trees and the flowers and the birds and the grass. Nothing makes me happier than to walk through the grass in my bare feet. Isn't it the greatest feeling?

I love to float in the pool. I love to listen to the kids squealing with pure joy at jumping off the side AGAIN and AGAIN. I love the creak of the swingset (especially when my ass is on it). I love to play bacci and volleyball and all the summer games.

I LOVE cooking out on the grill. The smell of hotdogs and hamburgs and steaks and chicken. Oh - the salads. Macaroni, Potato, Coleslaw - to die for. And deviled eggs - why is it you can ONLY get a deviled egg in the summer??

AND, I love the kids being home. I love the lazy ways of summer. No pressing schedules to attend to. PJs are an acceptable outfit far into the afternoon. I love the looks of contentment when they are parked in front of the computer or tv or their favorite set of toys knowing they can play for hours if they want to. IF THEY WANT TO. See, that's it. You can do whatever you WANT to. All the activities of the school year are over. No more sports. No more reports. No homework. And with me working from home, I get to enjoy that with them. Perhaps even more than I SHOULD sometimes.

And the TV execs get it too. There are NO new shows that must be TiVo'd or rush the kids to bed so that you don't miss the McDreamys of the world. HBO has nothing to offer. I have been sucked in by almost ALL of there series. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Deadwood (for a while), Bill Maher, Curb Your Enthusiam, and even Oz. But alas, there is nothing right now.

So, thank you HBO. Thank you Mother Nature. Thank you for reminding me to stop and smell the flowers and soak up some sunshine with my two best little friends in the whole wide world. If anyone needs me, I'll be floating in the pool. And if you do stop by, bring me a frozen drink will ya? Its hot as hell out here.

7 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

no no Sharpie! Deadwood is on and it's good! IMO the Sopranos sucked ass this year and that finale.... wtf???? Deadwood is starting out good so far. Sundays 9pm.

Summer rocks..... and you described it so well!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger VTek said...

Summer does have a way of magically making you shift gears and enjoy life more. Glad you get to enjoy it with your kiddos!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds lovely at your house, can I come over? ;-)

Seriously, I have pretty much not watched a bit of tv in like a month or more. Considering my addiction, its amazing, really.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger JayMonster said...

You description of Summer is super. Unfortunately in our household the "most important" shows are just starting new episodes, Lilo and Stitch, Suite Life of Zach and Cody, etc. Thanks to Disney and their "So Hot Summer" (grrrrrr).

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Jenny Wynter said...

Ooh, I can hardly WAIT to be over there for summer-time!!!

HBO rocks my world too - Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, I could go on and on and on.

BTW I've ordered a cool martini for you - it should arrive by post sometime next week. :-)

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Tanya said...

My parents just had a beautiful deck, waterfall/pond and screened in Gazebo built in their back yard. It is absolutely beautiful out there.

The first thing they did when it was finished was get cable hooked up and put a tv out there!
Ugh.
BBQing tonight. Yum.:)

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not anti-TV, but I'm very happy that I only get 13 channels; because it is easy to declare "nothing good is on!" IMHO, anything REALLY worth watching comes out on DVD at some point, and then I get to enjoy it commercial free!

I'm glad to know that some children are spending this summer PLAYING.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home