July 10, 2006

Ramble On, And Now's The Time, The Time Is Now, To Sing My Song

Monday morning after a long, relaxing weekend kinda feels about as nice as having my teeth drilled.
(On a total Random Side Note - THIS does not hurt AT ALL and totally works.)

I have to tell you, I have really adapted to Summer Life and having the kids home. I thought I might miss having some of that Me Time, Free Time. But...I'm good. It far out weighs the hectic Go, Go, Go Schedule we had lived through during the year. And, I've decided that I LIKE THIS PACE. So much so, that I am doing something I have not done in the 7 years I have had my business. I am making Summer Hours for myself.

I'm taking Fridays off for the rest of the summer.

I know, I know, it's only 6 more weeks, but this is a huge step for me. With this schedule, I can PLAN to take the kids places on Fridays without any STRESS of wondering what might be happening with work. Maybe I'm missing a job - or God Forbid, a deadline. (Not that I don't have my new handy-dandy cell phone with email etc - but its better to go KNOWING I have no responsibilities for the day. I can let my hair down and not rush getting back.)

And I'm HAPPY with that.
Happy Mommy = Happy Kids = Happy Daddy Later On.
(That's not NEW math - that's old school math.)

So, my first official Friday (last Friday) we went to Quassy Amusement Park with the neighbors. They have a beach and a water park and we did it ALL. Best part? Grandma came to pick them up later on and DH and I went out to dinner with some friends. Yes, WE DID. Did I drink too much? YES, I DID. But it was still fun.

Saturday, DH and I installed hard wired low-voltage lighting for landscape lights in the front and side yard. If, you MISSED that, I said WE did it ourselves. (Sherry's mouth is agape right now. CLOSE YOUR MOUTH you'll catch flies.) Perhaps, this is no BIG DEAL for you all...but around here - we don't usually roll like that. And there are reasons for that - none of which have anything to do with lazy...

A) DH has had TWO back surgeries on the same disc - one more will result in a Fusion to his spinal column, and well - I am not willing to risk that. The other surgeries were hard enough on him emotionally and physically and he constantly copes with feeling Less Of A Man, being unable to do things he used to be able to. So, for the things that require some physical labor - we usually hire someone (the lawn, plowing, etc.) Fuck it, life is too short.

B) This project required the following - LIVE Wiring, digging trenches, and other back-breaking manual labor. (Over 150 freaking feet of wiring people.....)

C) DH and I never used to work very well together. Seems we both like to be Captain. Can't run a tight ship with 2 Captains with 2 different ideas on how to get a job done.

With all that said, we did it anyway. He did the wiring, I dug trenches and we were done in about 4 hours. Best part? No fighting. Perhaps we are getting old, no? It looks unbelievable and I could hardly contain my look of awe at my not-only gorgeous-and-well-endowed hubby and his ability to wire that shit together. I was really happy, that for one day, he didn't feel like a broken man. (his words - not mine)

We spent the rest of the day lounging on the deck watching the kids play...well into the night where we smoked cigars and drank a bit too much after we put them to bed. Do you know how GROSS cigars are? BLECH! Never again. Seriously. This was not a very well thought out plan, as we were out of Citronella candles and DH thought this was the best way to keep the bugs away. That's the last time I let him be Captain.

And Sunday couldn't have been any better what with all of us crowded around the 50 inch LCD TV in the basement to watch Italy kick some ASS in the World Cup. Being born and bred in Italy, DH and my BIL could barely watch as it came down to penalty kicks. Italy does not have the best record when it comes to this dodge-ballesque ending. In my opinion, penalty kicks are a weird way to end I game, but I never have been a sports connoisseur, so what the fuck do I know.

I always feel bad for the losers, not because they lost, but because the camera guy always zooms in on the men crying. Grown men balls-out crying, gets to me. Perhaps its because my own father never shed a tear. Or maybe its because, my own husband, who admittedly has a black hole where others have hearts, only laughs harder when I bring up them crying. I'm not overly sensitive - but I DO understand being passionate and WANTING to win more than anything in the world. So, sue me if I get a little choked up with the losers. Even if it is France.

So, for Italians everywhere - (especially the ladies) - I give you the 2006 World Cup Champs.



God, I'm gonna miss watching them play.......... (sigh)

Next week the kids start summer camp, which lasts for 2 weeks, half days. I do need to plan what other Friday activities we will be doing. Of course, we plan a trip to Auntie Horkin to go play on the beach and newly installed water park. Anyone have any good ideas for summer fun? Day trips and the like on the East Coast?

8 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like all the makings for a great rest of the summer! The lighting stuff sounds like fun. My husband loved doing things like that around the house, BUT he also had back surgery on a disc, and is facing another. Only he HAD the fusion surgery, and it hasn't worked all that well, as far as we're concerned. Hope your guy doesn't need more.

p.s. I'm normally a lurker! I am trying to comment a bit on sites I read all the time, so I hope you don't mind.

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vive Italia! I swear, I lost about a year of my life during the PKs. That bald dude from France was a total douche bag (ha--that's some French for ya!) for that head butt--probably lost the game for the Frenchies.
But the men crying KILLS me! What emotion.
Oh, and as for the cigars? Gross, yes, but how cool do you feel when you smoke them??

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger VTek said...

I notice more and more people doing the landscape lighting -- It does look nice at night. Enjoy all your upcoming Fridays!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A few years ago, my company started a 9/80 schedule - work 80 hours in 9 days and get every other Friday off. How I love my Fridays off. I wish I had EVERY SINGLE one off, but oh well.

On the kids front, you put me to shame girl. I envy your happiness!! My short and sweet post today has me complaining about all my hubby's overtime and my subsequent over abundance of time with kiddies. Enough about me ;-) - I'm glad you are enjoying the summer and the time with your family.

And trenches and wiring? Gah! Can you come do my house??

Hubby DVR'd the world cup final (b/c of the aforementioned CONSTANT WORK) so I consciously did not watch it. Maybe we'll watch it together in frickin' October.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, WHY would I be agape at the idea of you two doing your OWN home improvements?????

Hahahahahahahahaha. Trench digger.

You smoked a cigar? Who ARE YOU???? What has happened to my sister? She's shoppin' Home Depot and smokin' stogies. What's next...flat hair and Michael Bolton playing in the background?

Seriously.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger JayMonster said...

Life is too short for cheap cigars (which is the reason they were nasty... IMNSHO).

We went with the Solar Powered lighting just to avoid the fights that would have probably ensued if we had tried to team up to do this kind of project.

As for where to go... You have probably done some (or all) of these already but I will try anyway:

Mystic Aquarium
( http://www.mysticaquarium.org/)
Mystic Seaport
( http://www.mysticseaport.org/ )
Puppet House Theater
( http://www.puppethouse.org/ )
The Childrens Museum
( http://www.childrensmuseumsect.org/ )

And of course don't forget to check out:
http://www.tourism.state.ct.us/

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Sue said...

If you like the amusement/water park theme, Lake Compounce is fun too. http://www.lakecompounce.com/

If you like the beach: http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/ parks/hammonasset.htm or http://www.ocean-beach-park.com/

And the Aquarium and Seaport are always fun.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Stacie said...

Them are some cute futballers! Found you on Penny Karma and like the blog... especially the photo of you at the top! Hee hee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home